Part 2. Maxims, Axioms, and Paradigms: Comedy of Thinking Errors – Another Door Opens (Arrival)
Preface:
Introduction:
This week, something shifted—not in a flash of inspiration, but in the slow grind of admitting where my own thinking has been wrong. Awareness that my old narratives were off the mark, and acceptance that I needed to change them, was the first real crack in the armor of ego and hubris. Instead of defending comfortable but wrong positions, I started asking harder questions: What if the limits I’ve accepted aren’t actually true? What if the “self‑evident truths” I’ve been clinging to are just confirmation bias dressed up as wisdom?
Quote of the Week:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re right.” - Henry Ford
Lately, that line has stopped feeling like a motivational poster and started sounding more like a diagnostic question: Am I thinking in ways that keep me stuck, or in ways that keep doors open? The more I test my assumptions—about my body, my prognosis, my future—the more I realize how often I was the one slamming the door before life had a chance to answer.
Poetry Spotlight:
Fear
By John Rushton
Looking - staring through the stained window of my life,
Numb, oblivious to chaos and strife.
Menacing gray sky, shrieking wind - bleak, dreary;
I cannot break free. I am afraid, too weary.
Outside, the storm swirls; all my failings ceaselessly taunt me.
I cry out for relief - a moment of peace, my dire plea.
Only in my constricting cocoon am I safe, content, and warm,
Even as life collapses around me in an ever-growing swarm.
Restless, I wait, self-made prisoner, hoping the storm will fade
Into darkness of night.
If I stay, it worsens
- I must summon courage and take flight.
In the distance, a faint, glimmering light -
Maybe a reason to break free.
I search for strength,
From a long-forgotten well deep within me.
Through the storm, the light’s brightness beckons—
This is the moment of truth: a time for reckoning.
Can I face the inevitable pain on this journey?
Or do I stay, fearful and alone -
Forever wondering what I’ve missed in unrelenting agony?
I make my choice - finally plain to see:
I will no longer cower in this stifling season.
I choose to risk, to live my life for me -
That, at last, is the reason.
Gradually, confidence and peace bloom as never before.
I draw a deep breath, close my eyes tight,
And take that first, dreaded step through the menacing door.
Closing Thoughts:
The past few weeks have shown me that doors do not always open with a grand announcement; sometimes they appear only after you stop worshiping the old, familiar frame. From chasing better diagnostics to walking 150 feet when the forecast said “nursing home,” to sharing coffee with a man who measures his time in days, the pattern is the same: feel the fear, question the script, and take one more step anyway.
If you’d like to see this movement in real time, the short video “No Obstacles, No Barriers” is this week’s reminder to keep moving forward, even when every part of you wants to stay curled up in the cocoon.

Comments